The Summit was announced by the Minister of Foreign Affairs Murray McCully at the Pacific Islands Forum in Rarotonga in August 2012 as means of practically advancing the commitment of Pacific leaders to improving energy security in the Pacific, as articulated in the 2011 Waiheke Declaration on Sustainable Economic Development.
The Summit aims to build on the momentum established at the Pacific Islands Forums in Auckland in 2011 and Rarotonga in 2012, and at the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) conference in Malta in September 2012, which focused on renewable energy sources and technologies in Island contexts.
This was attended by 48 countries, including 15 Pacific Energy Ministers and representatives from the renewable energy private sector.NZ and the EU are working to bring together Pacific leaders with a wide range of donors, investors, multilateral banks, development partners and private sector players. All are working to provide efficient, clean, and affordable energy outcomes for the Pacific region.
Minister McCully regards the Summit as a chance to “achieve a quantum leap forward” in implementing renewable energy in Pacific island countries.
EU Development Commissioner Andris Piebalgs says investing in access to clean and affordable energy in the poorest countries will help achieve the double goal of sustainable and inclusive growth and mitigating climate change.
We offer best cisco 200-101 exam dumps , latest cisco 100-101 exam latest ccie service provider exam
- Help Pacific island countries make progress towards their renewable energy targets
- Provide a forum for Pacific island countries to present their energy plans and targets to attract donor and private sector investment and expertise to advance those plans
- Bring together bilateral and multilateral donors and the private sector in an event that inspires and facilitates investment in renewable energy in the Pacific
- Showcase renewable energy projects, services and technologies from the public and private sector
- Create spaces for networking and business meetings that would not normally be available to participants
- Generate tangible outcomes with new relationships established, projects and deals brokered.